Sigma has released SPP 6.2 (download site) and as you can read in the changelog below, the main focus of this version of Sigmas RAW converter are improvements to processing and write speeds. Before I installed SPP 6.2, I imported a Quattro X3F into 6.1 and measured the time with my smartphone it took for it to perform different tasks. After I installed 6.2, I activated the “High Speed Mode” in the settings, as described in the changelog, and measured the time anew performing the same tasks and using the same X3F. And I can tell you this, SPP 6.2 is indeed much faster than 6.1. I couldn’t observe an appreciable speed difference when changing color modes and white balance, however changes to these settings are applied very fast or in real time anyway. Truly CPU-intensive tasks, like for example opening Quattro X3Fs, changing the display mode and saving a TIFF, which have taken on my notebook with i5-4200U and 8 GB of RAM 22, 41 and 53 seconds respectively, take about half as much time with 6.2!
SPP 6.2 Changelog
- It has added High Speed Mode to the Preference Settings menu (Only compatible with the RAW data (X3F files) of the SIGMA dp Quattro series on a Windows (64bit) with 4GB of RAM or higher).
- It has improved the processing speed of the RAW data (X3F files) of the SIGMA dp Quattro series as well as the display speed of the Review Window when the data is displayed in Display Quality Priority Mode.
- It has improved the processing speed of the RAW data (X3F files) of the SIGMA SD1, SD1 Merrill, DP Merrill series and dp Quattro series when saving the images after having the data displayed in Display Quality Priority Mode.
- It has improved the processing speed of the RAW data (X3F files) when changing various settings using a batch setting function in the Main Window by not updating thumbnail images. If the setting has been changed in the Review Window, thumbnail images will be updated.
- It has improved the thumbnail display with TIFF images developed and saved through the latest version (Ver6.2.0).
- It now shows images in the thumbnail frame in Main Window, with TIFF images developed and saved through the latest version (Ver6.2.0) regardless of the file size.
- It has added Photographer and Owner of Copyright details in the Information Window. (Next firmware update of the dp Quattro series will enable it to register this information.)
- It allows users to choose whether to keep the Copyright Information registered in the RAW data (X3F files) when saving the data in JPEG or TIFF in Preference Settings menu.
- It has corrected the phenomenon that abnormal termination may occur if TIFF and JPEG images that have been created by software from other companies, exist in the selected folder. (Some files including TIFF with the alpha channel are not supported.
- It has corrected the phenomenon that the RAW data (X3F files) of some SIGMA cameras are not compatible with the software in OS environments other than Japanese and English.
- It has corrected the phenomenon that the RAW data (X3F files) of the SIGMA dp Quattro series may develop some bright spot noise in a dark part of the image.
- It has corrected the phenomenon that Exif information of TIFF or JPEG images saved from the RAW data (X3F files) of some SIGMA cameras is not displayed properly.
- It has corrected the phenomenon that TIFF or JPEG images become corrupt when they are saved in 2x output image size while the Film Grain function is activated in Monochrome mode.
I wish you all a Happy New Year! And to all of you Quattro owners, I wish you a lot of fun with SPP 6.2! 😉