Once again there are several news stories regarding Sigma – even though none of them is as exciting as the one last time – which makes it very hard to come up with a short title. 🙂 The most important piece of news is undoubtedly the one regarding disclosure of RRPs of the recently announced Sigma lenses for Sony E mount. These are all US prices, but if you are familiar with Sigma’s pricing policy you can probably convert the dollar amounts in euro with relative ease.
Here is the list, unfortunately without info regarding 70mm f/2.8 Macro Art and 105mm f/1.4 Art:
- Sigma 14mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art: $1,599
- Sigma 20mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art: $899
- Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art: $849
- Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art: $899
- Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art: $949
- Sigma 70mm f/2.8 DG MACRO Art (n/a)
- Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art: $1,199
- Sigma 105mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art (n/a)
- Sigma 135mm f/1.8 DG HSM Art: $1,399
The second news isn’t a news story in the proper sense, but rather an article worth reading. It is an interview which the French website mizuwari.fr has conducted with Mr. Kazuto Yamaki, CEO of Sigma. Lots of interesting question were asked in the course of the interview, such as whether Sigma could imagine supplying other camera makers with Foveon sensors or whether it considers using plastic elements in its lenses. Mr. Yamaki is very open and honest, as we have come to expect. There is no trace of pre-packaged answers and marketing lingo. And that is precisely what makes his interviews so interesting. It’s a pity that we have to make do with a machine-translated version.
One last thing that shouldn’t go unmentioned is the new firmware version 1.09 for the MC-11 adapter. This version makes the MC-11 compatible with the new Sigma 14-24mm f/2.8 Art lens and improves autofocus of several lenses. Here is the changelog:
- With the SGV lenses¹ listed below, it has improved AF performance in the peripheral areas of the image as well as when the “Eye AF” function is selected.
- With lenses that are not compatible with the MC-11, it has corrected the release time lag which occurred during flash photography.²
¹ SIGMA 35mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art, SIGMA 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art, SIGMA 85mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art, SIGMA 135mm F1.8 DG HSM | Art, SIGMA 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM | Art, SIGMA 24-70mm F2.8 DG OS HSM | Art, SIGMA 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary
² Please note that this does not guarantee accurate operation with all the lenses that are not compatible with the MC-11.